Friday, February 22, 2008

rambleramblerambleramble.

I had to get up early this morning to head into Manhattan for a job interview. It went well despite some strange questions ('If you were an animal, what kind of an animal would you be?' - I'm not kidding, he really asked me that - I told him I'd be a German Shepherd, he told me he'd be a giraffe cause 'they're fuggin' cute and girls like'm') and the fact that the conference room was booked so my interview took place in a hallway. The two guys that I met who I could potentially be working with seemed nice, laid back, with a good sense of humor. We'll see. I'm not entirely sure I'll take the position if it's offered to me, depends on the money, benefits, and what not. But we'll see.

At any rate, after that I walked two blocks to the St. Marks strip and did a little DVD shopping. From there I hit Midtown Comics (my favorite comic store in NYC - I actually don't feel nerdy shopping there, they discount the cover price for you automatically and they have an impeccable selection of graphic novels) in Times Square. From there I wandered up Broadway a little bit, just because it seemed like a good idea at the time, and I noticed that John Schneider is now appearing in the NYC cast of Chicago. For reasons unknown, that appealed to me and made me laugh.

I got home just in time for a friend to ask me if I wanted to meet him at the St. Mark's Pub, across the street from where I'd been an hour ago buying DVDs. I opted not to take the train back into the city. Queens was okay with me at that point, helped by the fact that we got a whole lot of snow dumped on us over night and this morning and that because of that I was wet and cold. Alison's shift at the school was cancelled today, they were closed because of the weather. She'd been kind enough to perform emergency button surgery on my shirt before I left. When I got home, I think she'd just gotten up from a cat nap.

From there I went to Rite-Aid and bought:
-jellybeans
-gum drops
-diet coke
-sunkist
-planters dry roasted peanuts
-malox

An odd shopping list I suppose, but that's what Rite-Aid is for - odd shopping. Came home and we watched the wonderfully remastered Blue Underground re-release of Jorge Grau's The Living Dead At The Manchester Morgue (better known in some circles as Let Sleeping Corpses Lie), a politically charged Spanish zombie film starring Ray Lovelock and, oddly enough, Arthur Kennedy. I'd seen it before but it holds up well. It's a lot more tense than I remember it being the last time I watched it, though it'd been a few years. Speaking of movies, we went and saw No Country For Old Men last night. Later than everyone else on the planet (there was one other couple in the theater, that was it!) but we both enjoyed it quite a bit. The ending is odd, for sure, but it's not entirely out of place and the more I think about it, the more I like it, even if it is a depressing theme.

Alison made dinner and I fielded a phone call from Eddie who asked me kindly to post a news update on the message board for him promoting his appearance on Fangoria Radio, streaming live tonight on Sirius. I obliged and we discussed the potential TV show we've been bantering back and forth on for a while. Looks like we've got studio time booked for the evening of March 12th. Also looks like the DVD Maniacs upgrade should finally be done within the next 7-10 days (better way way late than never).

After dinner, Alison went to go babysit, leaving me here with nothing to do. Granted, a nice selection of video games, reading materials and a home video library to make most people green with envy should be enough but for some reason tonight none of that appeals to me. I took the dog for a walk, it had warmed up nicely by that point, and we wandered around for a half hour or so. When I came home I took out the Nikon and decided to monkey around with shutter speeds and aperature settings. I took some pictures of the TV while it was on, of the dog, and of myself - just for something to do. The results are below. They're sort of ghostly, kind of strange looking. But again, it was something to do. Then the camera battery died. I look very sad in that last picture, even though I'm in a very good mood today. Damn, are my sideburns ever getting grey though...

I think I might go across the street and get a beer, then settle down for the night with a Russ Meyer film or something equally superficial and fun. Or maybe I'll listen to Lenny And The Piss Poor Boys (thank you, Noland, for introducing me to what has become one of my favorite albums of the last few years) sing sad songs about booze and broken hearts. Or maybe I'll read some Silver Surfer comics.

The world is my oyster!







2 comments:

Alison... said...

Geez... you forgot to mention I breathed and peed today...

The Hamzinger said...

You know how long I've been wanting to get asked that type of question? Just so I can respond with, "What do you mean, 'if'?" Ha!

I like the life-as-narrative idea here. Proust meets Serling, ala "Stranger Than Fiction."

You're quite welcome; it's the least I can do for an unabashed passionate thing for MANOWAR!